Skip to main content

Celebrating Little Ole Me


Tomorrow is my birthday and I've been reflecting on all my other 36 Birthdays. 
I grew up in a house where birthdays were celebrated big. Not big in today's standards, but big in the children of the 80's / early 90's standards. It was all about me from sun up to sun down. I woke up to singing by all 3 in my nuclear family. They all sang it different but they always blended. 

 Opening presents before school at the kitchen table, maybe my dad would come eat with me for school lunch some years, if not, mama put a note in my strawberry shortcake or rainbow brite lunchbox (with thermos) and the evening meant presents from grandparents and aunts that came by mail. I got to pick my supper and on the monumental years I could invite a friend to go out with us. 
I remember getting a 10 speed for my 10th bday and riding it out of the Walmart in the Quarry shopcenter ( when it was THE Walmart.) The patentals had put it on lay away so I got to release it from hostage and ride it from the stockroom to the car. Hello...big time. I rode it down to the cove in front of our house to show my cute and fellow garbage pail collector friend named Chris, and I fell over the front of the bike into their yard while his family sat watching from their bay window and his dad had to come dry my tears and help me up. All while my nuclear 3 watched from our yard. Humility was ever present in my childhood. 

 When I was 11 I got to take "ole Erica from the block" to Juan's  with us (Julie, is your mouth watering now? Mama are you gagging?) and I received a fabulous, large Kirk Cameron poster. I still picture it like yesterday. I so loved that boy before he even loved Jesus like he does. 

I had a sleepover when I turned 13 with a random group of girls and we "walked the mall" and waited up to watch Julie get her goodnight kiss on the porch through the crack of the curtains and laughed until she came in yelling for Mama to make us stop (Daddy was broadcasting an away football game. I'm sure he wished me Happy Birthday at his sign off. He always did sweet things like that.) 
I remember going to Tulsa to eat at Casa Bonita while Daddy whacked the moles for prize tickets and then off to Toys R Us to spend birthday money. I bought real roller skates and glow in the dark spoke charms for my purple huffy (must have been before my 10th b'day) 

When I turned 16 I got to drive to pick up Melissa and Rachel for Red Lobster on a school night in the Corsica, our family car. Hello, cool! Mama said "don't you drive down wildcat mountain road. You go all the way down Rogers and turn by the Old Mill" Mama, in case you never knew... I forgot up you told me that until I was halfway down wildcat mountain road and I almost peed my pants from fright. I still tense up reliving it. I made it though. (That street has a real name I'm sure. But I only knew it as that)

 I remember great fun and a few parties but nothing like we plan for our kids in this era. I felt just as special as any child could feel. I always had cake with candles and my mama or granny usually made it. I was important, celebrated, valued and a gift to my family. It still makes my heart swell. I loved my honest,  neighborhood feel good movies are made about,  working class, Jesus loving childhood. I love how my family reminded me how special and valued I was to them because I was just simply born. We are all specially designed by the Maker of life and bring value to our families in our own special way. What a joy to know that in  every fiber of my being and to feel that all my life. Thanks to my people for always celebrating me for exactly who I am...little ole me. 
(I want to do a post about the childhood sister and I had soon, so I'll save the rest of the rant for that.) 

1 more day of 36. Man, that sounds old!
Abby Jo 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Blind Date & Leaving Comments

8 years ago today I met this sweet man in the picture above. We met on a blind date in the Bluff City (aka- Memfrica). He and I were simply going out to shut up his stepmother and my sister, who had decided that we were meant to be together from one simple fridge photo and a dog named Abby. Little did we know they would be able to pat themselves on the back for the rest of their lives . I am so glad we both agreed to go out for that one date on New Years Eve 2001 because I have had him in my life everyday since that crazy night at my cousin Hollye's back door when he arrived to pick me up to find a baby on my hip that he thought was mine. I remember those beautiful blue eyes and how they about popped out of his head as he stood at the door wondering why no one had mentioned my child. That baby on my hip was Claire. She was 1 then and had just gone number 2 in her diaper right before he rang the bell. She had Styrofoam all over her and me from playing in Christmas boxes. Needless t

All Aboard The Birthday Polar Express

  Can you believe Henry Patton will be 4 years old tomorrow?! Neither can we. We celebrated his birthday last weekend with his first all boy party, polar express style. I had so much fun preparing for it, as you can probably tell! My mother who is never at a loss for words said it looked like Polar Express threw up in my house. She was SO right and we loved it! We had a breakfast pajama party with 7 three and four year old boys. It was such a fun time.   I had his pajamas monogrammed with a train and his name. He loved them and I liked how they sort of looked like the ones on the movie. Henry loved all the bells I had everywhere. There is no doubt we believe at this house. We had the jingle loud and proud!   I had his invitation made from a shop on Etsy and I was very pleased with them. One of his little friends came to the door ready for me to punch his ticket. It was so cute. I ran to get a hole punch and punched it for him. Every good party has to have go

Pedicure Pledge

Just a friendly reminder, it's that time of the year again. Please raise your big toes and repeat after me: As a member of the Sandal Sisterhood, I pledge to follow The Rules when I wear sandals and other open-toe shoes: I promise to always wear sandals that fit. My toes will not hang over and touch the ground, nor will my heels spill over the backs. And the sides and tops of my feet will not pudge out between the straps. I will go polish-free or vow to keep the polish fresh, intact and chip-free. I will not cheat and just touch up my big toe. I will sand down any mounds of skin before they turn hard and yellow. I will shave the hairs off my big toe. I won't wear pantyhose even if my misinformed girlfriend, coworker, mother, sister tells me the toe seam really will stay under my toes if I tuck it there. If a strap breaks, I won't duct-tape, pin, glue or tuck it back in to place hoping it will stay put. I will get my shoe fixed or toss it. No matter how much it hurts. I will